IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, IllawarraYES is taking every precaution to ensure the health and safety of program participants by following current NSW government guidelines. For further advice, please don’t hesitate to contact our program coordinator on 0408 937 070..
Are you aged 15-24 and looking for an exciting start to a career, close to home, in one of the Illawarra’s growth sectors?
Do you know a young person who needs a great way to begin their career, supported by some of our best employers and a team of training professionals?
If you would like more information or are interested in being involved in the IllawarraYES program, please complete your details below and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Since 2016, the IllawarraYES Coordinator, appointed by Business Illawarra and funded by the NSW Government has been working with local employers, youth organisations, government, and Registered Training Organisations to meet business skill shortages while providing real work opportunities for young people.
The IllawarraYES program focuses on building entry level employment pathways for young people, comprised of vocational training, employability skills and work experience as well as on-the-job mentoring and support.
The IllawarraYES program also assists business to meet identified skill shortages. It seeks to prepare, skill and trial young job seekers prior to employment, by coordinating government funded training and job readiness programs including work experience, tailored to business and industry requirements.
The IllawarraYES Coordinator partners with local business and industry to achieve successful training and employment outcomes across Local Government, Construction, Hospitality, Aged Care, Call Centre and Transport sectors, supporting skills shortage and key growth areas.
Hospitality Skill Set
IllawarraYES will be delivering a short Hospitality Skill Set program in June 2022.
Participants will receive a Skillset in Certificate II in Hospitality
- Use hygienic practices for food safety
- Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA)
- Prepare and serve espresso coffee
- Provide responsible gambling services (RCG)
IllawarraYES will hold a short course in Traffic Control commencing June 2022.
Learn to set up and work with Traffic Control Guidance Schemes and Traffic Control Plans within the construction industry.
- Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
- Communicate in the workplace
- Work safely and follow WHS policies and work procedures
- Control traffic with a stop-slow bat
- Implement Traffic Management Plans
- Position, set up and program portable
Learn skills in construction, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, formwork, concreting, landscaping and more!
Productivity Bootcamp will be delivering an 8-week program giving participants the skills they need to secure an apprenticeship.
This program will start in Nowra in July, so send an expression of interest to secure your spot now to give your career a kickstart with pathways to employment.
IllawarraYES and SCA will be delivering a program in hairdressing staring July 2022.
This course will encompass face-to-face teaching, demonstration, and practical application. Students experience a simulated workplace environment, with access to equipment, products and facilities reflecting industry practice.
- Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- Dry hair to shape
- Provide shampoo and basin services
- Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation
- Greet and prepare clients for salon services
- Communicate as part of a salon team
IllawarraYES and SCA will be delivering a program in barbering commencing July 2022.
This program will encompass face-to-face teaching, demonstration, and practical application. Students experience a simulated workplace environment, with access to equipment, products and facilities reflecting industry practice.
- Provide shampoo and basin services
- Design and maintain beards and moustaches
- Shave heads and faces
- Provide men’s general grooming services
- Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas
- Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
IllawarraYES will run a new and exciting program in Animal Care.
This entry level course for people wanting to work in the animal care industry. It will give you the knowledge and skills for support roles in workplaces such as animal shelters, kennels, catteries, wildlife sanctuaries, animal houses, pet shops and veterinary clinics.
Transport & Logistics
Kickstart your career in the Transport and Logistics industry, with an upcoming and exciting program. Units will cover:
- Use info technology devices in the workplace
- Complete receival and despatch documentation
- Organise receival and despatch operations
- Participate in basic workplace communication
- Licence to operate a forklift (18+)
- MR Licence (Must hold P2 drivers licence)
IllawarraYES will be delivering an entry-level early childhood program that may lead to traineeships or future employment.
Date to be determined.
How It Works
- The IllawarraYES Coordinator consults with local business, government and industry to determine which current, future or ongoing vacancies may be suitable for entry level youth employment.
- Liaise with a network of local employment providers to identify and recruit young people to match to employment opportunities.
- Partner with Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s) to deliver Smart and Skilled funded vocational training to young people, aligned to specific business and industry training needs.
- Coordinate work experience, internships and work trial opportunities, providing young people with hands on experience in the workplace while allowing the employer to trial candidates prior to employment.
- Assist with employment options and incentives, including access to youth wage subsidies for casual, part-time or full-time work, and/or referrals to Apprenticeships Australia.
The IllawarraYES program assists local businesses to meet identified skills shortages. This is achieved by preparing, trialling and potentially employing young people (15-24 years) through the coordination of a range of government funded initiatives.
The IllawarraYES program assists young people with entry level employment pathways comprising vocational training, employability skills and work experience to prepare them for future employment including apprenticeships and traineeships.
Stay up to date – follow us on